2 Documents You Need If You’re Traveling Without the Kids

2 Documents You Need If You’re Traveling Without the Kids

By Solid Serenity Legal Solutions

Summer is fast-approaching. During those hot, humid, sunny months many of us catch the travel bug and plan vacations. Sometimes we have to take those vacations without the kids.

If you are planning a trip alone or with your spouse, but leaving the kids at home, here are 2 documents you need if you’re traveling without the kids.

(1) Your Kids’ Care and Health Instructions for the Caregiver

When you leave your children at home with a caregiver for trips for work or fun, it is important that you leave the caregiver proper care and health instructions for your kids.

Be sure to document:

  • Pediatrician’s name, phone number, and address
  • Dentist’s name, phone number, and address
  • your health insurance information
  • any medications your children need
  • when they take their medications
  • allergies you children have
  • any health conditions your kids have
  • other important medical instructions
  • how to reach you on your trip
  • your trip itinerary

Even if your chosen caregiver spends a lot of time with your children, they may not always be aware of your kids’ medical needs. They also likely do not have your children’s health insurance and doctor information on-hand. And, they definitely need to know how to get in contact with you if they need you. When you provide this information to your caregivers, you can prepare them in case an emergency arises while you are gone.

(2) Power of Attorney for Minor Children

If you leave town and leave your children with a caregiver, there is no Oklahoma law that gives your caregiver authority to act on your behalf for your children.

You can only give your caregiver authority to take your children to the doctor, access health information, and employ healthcare professionals by giving them that authority through a Power of Attorney for Minor Children.

A Power of Attorney for Minor Children gives your caregiver the authority to stand in your shoes and make decisions for your kids, should they need it, in your absence.

If you are leaving town soon and need help getting these documents in place, contact us so we can help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *